Do you like to travel? Haven’t you enough space in your backpack? Then it will be useful to learn how to use a bungee cord on a backpack. Thanks to this accessory, you can relax your hands. You can easily attach any travel gear, including sleeping mats, utensils, raincoats, and more. So, let’s learn a few features in this paragraph.
What Purpose to Use Bungee Cords For?
Do you have a small knapsack and are going on a trip? Can’t you fit some large oversized or just necessary things? It isn’t a problem. The shock cord is a useful thing that can perform many functions. It is practical for travelers, tourists, and just vacationers. So, what are the bungee cords on a backpack for? I will share with you effective ways to use such an accessory with a rucksack.
Ways to Employ the Accessory
- It serves to attach the necessary gear that won’t fit inside the bag.
- You can fix other shoes that you need to change.
- Even if it tears or becomes too old and stretched, it is not difficult to do a backpack shock cord replacement. You can take a piece of flex with you in advance.
- In some cases, it may even come in handy as a dryer for wet clothes. For example, I often like to swim in the pond when hiking in the summer. As you understand, swimsuits are wet after swimming. So, I fasten it outside the rucksack. In this case, the suit dries quickly in the sun. Even on foot, it does not wet the bags inside.
- Use it for quick access to some things. Here, I usually attach some food in packages or water bottles.
Advantages & Convenience
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania did some research. According to them, a bungee cord conditionally reduces the load on your backpack by a few pounds. That is, the weight of your cargo in the rucksack becomes lighter and more comfortable to carry if you secure everything with a flex. You distribute items evenly inside and on the sides. Therefore, it is easier to take when everything is arranged harmoniously.
The flexes are very comfy for wearing large items. For instance, I often attach sleeping bags, rugs, skewers, frying pans. It’s easier for you to hook up and transfer everything behind your back, for example, on a long hitchhike. You’ll release your hands, and, at the same time, you will have everything you need.
Features & Types of Cord
I know many people who neglect backpack loops and generally ask me why they are needed. This feature is unknown to those sitting at home and going out with a rucksack only to the store. However, you may utilize loops to your advantage: fix a flex to them or others.
If your knapsack is small in size, but you ought to take some extra things on vacation, don’t buy another one. Utilizing a cord will make the capacity easier. Also, you can add a bungee cord to any backpack with many pockets. Thanks to it, you take all the necessary things for the trip. It is helpful, especially if something does not fit in the rucksack.
There are different types of cords, from various materials, with special features. I have listed a few characteristics in the table below. It will help to guide the choice.
How to Attach Bungee Cord Hooks? Basic Ways
The flex benefits everyone on the journey. You fasten extra gear to the outside of the rucksack. Given its elasticity and strength, the cord holds any things firmly. You pinch the hooks on special loops.
There are different situations when the hooks are good, and the cord becomes worn and old, right? Then we need a backpack bungee cord replacement. Since I often utilize such accessories, I have replaced them several times. Do you also come to such a need? Then I will give instructions on how to fix the hooks to the new flex. They will hold up well and will not unravel.
- Take the required length, but keep in mind that you need a few extra inches to tie.
- Nylon threads can weave, and you should burn them slightly.
- The hooks have a ring, if you notice. So, you need to push the flex into it and tie a knot.
- Then you should also make a knot from the other side. This way, one of your hooks will be attached and won’t run.
- Now, tie the other side of the flex to the hook. Repeat the same steps. However, do the opposite, i.e., tie the knot first from the inside and then the last from the outside.
There are different hooks, but the principle of knot formation is the same. If you do everything right, you will get a sturdy cord made by yourself. And the process is easy. You do not need to think long about how to do everything.
Is There Any Difference Between Elastic & Shock Flex?
They differ in materials and their potential to stretch. For instance, the shock becomes twice as big when stretched. And the elastic has only a half-stretch, sometimes in one and a half times.
What Is Elastic Shock Cord Backpack?
The elastic item is the same thing that people say about bungee. It's made of several threads of durable material, nylon, and polyester in the most common cases. Based on them, it is flexible and stretches strongly. They are intertwined but very elastic.
What Is Material Used to Make the Cord?
As a rule, manufacturers take a lot of rubber threads and cover them with elastic nylon or cotton yarn. Such a structure provides flexibility and, at the same time, the strength of the cord.
As far as you know, the elastic backpack cord is a very useful and practical thing that should not be neglected when traveling. I never ignore such an accessory and always find an appointment for it. I tie belongings to my rucksack that I never put inside. Therefore, if you wish to take your favorite yoga mat with you, do not hold back.